Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Postcard from Jellystone

July 9, 2008

Heyyyy, BooBoo!

This summer Albert and I are having an adventure living and working in Yellowstone National Park. I have an internship with the National Park Service in the Landscape Architecture division. (No, I’m not a park ranger, and no I don’t get a uniform. I know, boo.) But I did talk them into giving me an NPS cap after I told them that my San Gabriel Nursery hat doesn’t quite make the same impression on park visitors.

Every day that I’m here, I step outside and can’t believe how lucky I am. This is America’s first national park, indeed the first in the world – the largest protected wildlife area on our continent, and the size of two states, Delaware and Rhode Island combined… and yet the average tourist only sees Yellowstone for one-and-a-half days. It’s unforgivable. Now, I’m here for an entire season, but with 2 million acres of valleys and peaks and lakes and 10,000 geysers, I know I can’t see everything. But I’m definitely going to try my best!